pre mature ejackulation

Is the lesson in the waiting?

Waiting Pete Wilson, one of our pastors at the Nashville campus of  CrossPoint Church has been doing a series on Shattered Dreams.  Today, the lesson was on “Waiting on God”.  There were so many good nuggets in the message that it was almost hard to keep up with my notetaking.  I kept thinking about things going on in my life-even right now-where I really need the words he spoke today.

In my last post, I talked about some radical things I’m going after both personally and professionally.  And since writing it, I’ve been actively working on each thing.  My body definitely feels the effects of more rigorous exercise.  And the career pursuits are moving along. It’s been an exciting time all around, as I feel the inertia of moving forward.  The hardest part has been in asking God for a radical assignment.  Because the “homework” I’m doing right now…sucks.  My little girl has been struggling for 22 straight days with migraine-like symptoms.  We’ve been to countless doctors; she’s been poked and prodded, she’s had fluids put in and blood taken out.  And she’s been put on medications that have made even our pharmacist nervous.  And Nothing has worked.  At this point, I’m emotionally exhausted.  It has noticeably altered our lives, and has caused me many tears as I watch her struggle with the pain. There are moments here and there of her sweet, happy personality.  But the first and last words I hear each day are about how bad it hurts.

Pete asked a really hard question this morning.  When times get tough, will we trust or control? Though I’ve been saying that I was believing God for a change, and have been asking Him daily for a break in the pain, I’ve mainly been aggressively pursuing treatment and “driving the bus” to try to find an answer for why this is happening.  Don’t get me wrong–I absolutely believe in doctors and medicine…but first and foremost I know I should be looking up for guidance.  In our sermon notes today was this point: Hope does not come only from believing God’s power, but also from accepting and trusting His timing. Nothing about what’s been happening with her is normal.  I think it’s time for me to move from trying to control what’s happening and truly trust Him to protect her and heal her.  Because I know that God heals. And I have to trust that He made her for a purpose that’s not going to be destroyed by this pain.  I asked for a radical assignment, and this ordeal has definitely tested my faith.

Does this hit you in any area your of life?  Where do you need to let go and let God?

P.S. If you are running low on hope, or feeling that life hasn’t turned out the way you thought it would, please check out this website about Pete’s new book, Plan B.  I’m reading it now, and it’s the perfect message for this journey.

Take Action

17 Responses to “Is the lesson in the waiting?”

1. Stephanie Shott April 25, 2010 at 6:44 pm #

I love how transparent you are in your blog. When I read your post about being radical I felt as though I was looking in a mirror. I’m like you in that I tend to vision big. I figure we serve a big God, why would I set my sites small when the King of the Universe is my Father!

I also speak at conferences on the topic “When God is Silent.” It’s comforting to know that God’s silence does not equal His absence, nor does it equal His inactivity. He is behind the curtains of our lives working things out for our good and His glory. But waiting is never easy, it’s just necessary to demonstrate faith in a loving God.

I’ll be praying for you and your family during this difficult time. As a mother, I know it’s never easy when it’s our children who are hurting.

Just a thought…have you had the her vitamin b’s, potassium, calcium and magnesium checked? Sometimes, migraines come on when our levels get out of whack. The neurologist had my husband take b complex and magnesium.

Praying!

• JenDeshler April 26, 2010 at 7:09 am #

Hi Stephanie,

Thanks for your encouragement. You’re so right–we do serve a Big God.

ps. Thanks for the mention of vitamins–we have an appt. with a holistic doctor this week and I’ll be sure to ask that he check all those things.

Appreciate you!

2. Jennifer King April 26, 2010 at 7:39 am #

Hi Jennifer,

A beautiful response to a difficult time … I’m so sorry to hear about your daughter’s continued pain. If there ever were a trying journey for a parent, it is most heart-wringing when it involves our children (as a mom of 3 very active boys, we’ve had our share of major accidents so far!).

I’m looking forward to listening to P.Wilson’s message online. For me, the waiting always refines me, inside to out. Never my idea of fun, never easy, and never with guarantees–but coming out the other side I’m grateful for the person God’s helped me to become in the waiting.

Praying for you both.

-Jennifer King

• JenDeshler April 26, 2010 at 9:53 am #

Hi Jennifer,

You are a great encourager. I’m so glad we’ve become friends. Your wisdom and faith are a blessing to me.

3. Tod Shuttleworth April 26, 2010 at 9:12 am #

Just have to let the man upstairs deal with it in his way. Can’t change His will or time table, eventhough control freaks like you and I want to.

• JenDeshler April 26, 2010 at 9:53 am #

Hi Tod,

See…you say it just like I hear it :)

4. alece April 26, 2010 at 9:44 am #

yesterday’s message was so perfect for me right now as well. i struggle with the tension between hope and surrender. i find myself in a difficult place, especially today. trying to choose to trust…

• JenDeshler April 26, 2010 at 10:03 am #

Alece,

Everything about you says overcomer. Even in your hardest times, you are transparent and choosing to trust. Like that about you.

• alece May 4, 2010 at 11:52 pm #

wow, jen. thank you.

5. Debbie April 26, 2010 at 9:49 am #

Jennifer,
    Thank you. Thank you for this post. My daughter has be struggling with deep, dark, extremely serious depression and torturous thoughts for over a year now and I have been where you are — still am. Prior to this she had been through cancer and a bonemarrow transplant with many,many complications…BUT she was cheerful, funny, quirky, engaging and most of all joyous and full of praise and wonder for her God. She shone. This was unexpected, unforseeable and I would have bet my life on never seeing it happen. But it did. Through our battles (which also included a serious cancer my husband went through and a job loss without cause) I “preached” (not too strong a word) God’s sovereignty, His goodness, that He had a plan and a purpose and it was good — and I believed it! I still do, but I am being challenged. When this started I think I heard Him “say”: “people will know you have been through the fire (um, cancer wasn’t enough, Lord :0) and they will know that you know what you are witnessing to is TRUE. And so, we wait. It has been a long hard discouraging journey (the depression — believe it or not, not the cancer) and my faith is being streeeeetched. But thank you for your words. He is in control — I am not. Rest and wait — and trust in the one who is able and does and allows only what is for His glory and our good. He loves us.Deeply. (P.S. I just bought P.Wilson’s “Plan B”. I’m going to dig in as soon as I’m done the book I’m reading now.) Bless you.With prayers for your daughters healing a clear revelation of God and His love in this for you.

6. JenDeshler April 26, 2010 at 10:24 am #

Hi Debbie,

Wow–you’ve definitely been going through a lot. And it’s hard to hear the words, but nice to rest in the fact that God is here for us. And He will be glorified through our circumstances, just as in the story of Lazarus.

I am praying for you, Dear Debbie, and will be watching to see how He shows up in a Huge way for your family!

7. Jason April 26, 2010 at 7:03 pm #

Pete’s really nailing it with this series. I can only imagine how good the book is considering what we hear every Sunday morning.

Great post and I will be praying for your family.

• JenDeshler April 28, 2010 at 12:08 pm #

Jason,

I’m surprised you haven’t read it yet! It’s a great compliment to the teachings right now.

Appreciate your prayers :)

• Jason May 1, 2010 at 10:01 am #

Oh, I wanted it. I was sitting at my computer waiting for the second it hit BookSneeze. Then the site crashed and I felt this huge impression that there were people who needed it a lot more than I did right now. So I let it go.

I might wait for the audiobook. Or just download the podcasts of Pete’s messages and listen to them in the car as I’m driving to Asheville in a few weeks. :)

8. Jen April 28, 2010 at 11:59 am #

Good words. I’m so sorry that your daughter has been struggling with headaches. Will be praying for healing in a BIG way. :)

We are going through a time of waiting on God right now and it is never easy. I know that He is always *on time*, but dang, wouldn’t it be nice if He was a wee bit early once in a while? ;)

• JenDeshler April 28, 2010 at 12:09 pm #

Hi Jen,

You are SO right. I often joke that I’d love to get an email from Him once in a while :) Thanks for stopping by-look forward to getting to know you!

9. Karla Meachem June 17, 2010 at 9:05 pm #

Plan B is incredible! I highly recommend it to everyone! In fact, it should be available in all libraries. :)

Sorry to hear about your daughter. One thing you may look at as well is what cleaning supplies you are using in your home. Approx. 3 yrs ago, I used to get migraines so badly that I had to wear my sunglasses in the house. Someone suggested that I change to more natural cleaners; and to make sure that we open the windows in our home more often. It helped. I have been migraine free for over 2 yrs now.

You may also want to get her eyes checked, if you haven’t already.

Plan B will encourage you! {{{hugs}}} God is FAITHFUL!!! Don’t give up!

“Be still and know that I am God.” ~ Psalm 46:10