pre mature ejackulation

The challenge with being consistent

In most areas of life, I’m pretty steady.  I’m dependable.  And I like knowing people count on me to keep things moving.

But I have a weakness when it comes to this blog.   At least twice each week, I think up a good idea for a blog post.  Looking at my dashboard, I have five in progress right now.  Yet, it continues to collect “dust” while I run through life.  I still scratch my head in wonder at how other people find time to be consistent in updating with new content bi-weekly or daily.

If I’m honest with myself, there are days I wonder if what I have to say will stand out against the thousands of other blog posts posted each day.  And, as I sit here at 8:30 pm typing this post, my kiddo is reading a book by herself, and I’m on the computer.  There are clean dishes in the dishwasher that need to be put up.  Laundry in the dryer to be folded.   10 emails waiting for me to wrap them up and hit “send”.  Four open Word docs I need to complete and email.  And two excel files I have to format.

It would be easy to continue putting my blog on hold, because life is crazy and there are a million other things that need my attention.  But there’s one question I keep asking myself :”Do I love doing this?”  The answer is Yes.  Which means that I need to be as creative in finding time for this as I am in getting everything else done.  Thanks for coming along for the ride while I gave myself a swift kick in the tail.  I needed that.

What about you?  Do you find it hard to maintain your blog? Any tips you’d like to share?

Take Action

11 Responses to “The challenge with being consistent”

1. Kristi @kristigriem April 8, 2010 at 7:40 pm #

I’ve had the same conversation in my head as well! I have a running list of things I want to write about-even series-but wonder the same…is what I have to say any better than the thousands out there?
    At the end of the day tho, it is cathardic for me to write out my thoughts, process the way I see God moving, and learn about myself. Some don’t get posted :)
    thanks for your transparency and taking time out to inspire!

• JenDeshler April 9, 2010 at 7:52 am #

Hi Kristi,

It’s a gift to be able to put thoughts to paper. I’m glad to know you and look forward to seeing more on how you see God moving.

2. Cindy April 9, 2010 at 7:48 am #

I do have the same issues. Right now I feel that I’m in a season of watching and learning. I believe the time will come when God means for me to take the thoughts and form the words for others to read. It’s just not now.

I still struggle with comparison to those “daily” people. But then God reminds me that He has a different purpose for me – and that’s ok – for now. We all have our place and God alone knows what tomorrow holds…

• JenDeshler April 9, 2010 at 8:29 am #

Hi Cindy,

You’re so wise to wait on the right timing. I know He’ll use your words in a big way!

3. Jennifer King April 9, 2010 at 8:20 am #

Hi Jennifer–

Your post made me think of two things instantly:

1) I think these thoughts every time I sit down to write / paint / shoot photos / do anything creative… “does it really matter?”

2) Last week, I finished reading S. Pressfield’s The War of Art for the first time. And the final page is my favorite. I’d like to quote some here:

“Are you a born writer? Were you put on earth to be a painter, a scientist, an apostle of peace? In the end the question can only be answered by action. Do it or don’t do it…
    If you don’t do it, You shame the angels who watch over you and spite the Almighty, who created you and only you with your unique gifts, for the sole purpose of nudging the human race one millimeter farther along its path back to God…
    Creative work is… a gift to the world and every being in it. Don’t cheat us of your contribution. Give us what you’ve got.”

Thanks for giving us what you’ve got, Jennifer. And for inching us back toward what God intends for us to be.

For me, and for my blog, once a week is my steady balance. Any more, and I burn out. Any less, and I’m out of the habit. It’s hard to find that balance.

Thank you for sharing the creative journey…

Jennifer King

• JenDeshler April 9, 2010 at 8:32 am #

Hi Jennifer.

Everything about you says “inspiring” to me. Your art, your stories…even your tweets. I look to you as one of those people who helps me be better than I am. So glad to know you :)

4. Susan Cushman April 9, 2010 at 8:21 am #

I’ve been posting about three times a week on my blog for almost three years now and I love it. Sometimes I does suck the energy away from my other writing, and yes, sometimes there are household duties that get ignored, but I think artists are always going to have to let some other things go in order to do their art. And blogging can definitely be art. Your blog is beautiful–keep it up!

5. JenDeshler April 9, 2010 at 8:33 am #

Hi Susan,

Thanks for the motivation! It’s nice to hear that others have to put “life” on hold at times to make art happen.

6. Sandra Heska King April 9, 2010 at 11:24 am #

Folding laundry? That’s what the dewrinkle cycle is for.

Dishes in dishwasher? I put them away while I’m cooking the next meal.

Dust on your blog? I have dust all over my house. I rationalize that as a result of living in a 150+ year old farmhouse surrounded by a plowed field.

You didn’t mention windows. I haven’t had birds run into mine lately.

I’m always thrilled when folks visit my blogs, and I find that I’ve actually touched someone. but I started them more for me–to learn writing discipline. And for fun.

I really like what Jennifer said/quoted.

7. David Alves April 23, 2010 at 4:41 pm #

Jennifer,

Your blog is a work of art. Your posts are refreshing and inspiring.

I certainly identify with your questions. I have often wondered what impact, if any, my words have on the reading world. But this I KNOW–God has called me to a vocation. I am a writer. The proof is in the joy and fulfillment that comes with receiving the kind of thoughtful and involved comments that you have received following your post.

My wife and I read it together. And she wants to get back to her blog.

The Lord bless you as you continue to squeeze out the distractions and follow his lead. Remember “Be steadfast, immovable, always abounding in the work of the Lord {the thing He called YOU to do}, for you KNOW that your labor in the Lord [writing/blogging] is NOT IN VAIN!” (1 Cor. 15:58).

Blessings,
    David

8. JenDeshler April 25, 2010 at 2:39 pm #

David,

Thank you for your kind words and inspiration. Your words are music to my heart and encouragement as I continue forward.

Bless you,